Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

THE END OF 2017




When I was a boy, there was something about Playboy's comic strip, Little Annie Fanny, that mesmerized me.

I first discovered the strip in old issues of Playboy that I'd smuggled into my room.  Before I'd heard the names Harvey Kurtzman, Will Elder, Jack Davis or Frank Frazetta, I studied the pictures so intently, they're still burned into my consciousness today.     

Revisiting the strip, I see that its message remains relevant.  Fifty years ago, the brilliant Harvey Kurtzman wrote an episode with an island where the population became bored by conventional politicians so they elected a vulgar brute to shake things up. 


Kurtzman offers us his view of "populism" at work:





We've elected an ape, indeed.


The character Annie was simple minded, yet Kurtzman always managed to put words of wisdom in her mouth:
"When people are so mean and selfish, they deserve to be led by an ape."
Wishing you all a 2018 that is a little less mean and a little less selfish.


Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar