The biggest news of this day is little "Addie", my new great granddaughter! Born last evening at 5:39 p.m. I won't steal Lynn's sweet picture of Addie for my blog...since Lynn is Addie's grandma, and that of course, is the highlight of Lynn's blog, Side Tracked. I sure would love to hold this little Addie!
Back to my dull routine...while in Henderson at Tractor Supply a day or so ago, I did make a quick stop at the Salvation Army Thrift Store...
I picked up this picture for $2.00. I love the beautiful heavy frame, and the white kitty is so sweet.
also found three pieces of solid color cotton fabric. These come in handy for lining sunbonnets. The white basket was less than a dollar, fabric pieces .25 each.
always a curious kitty snooping around...
This small porcelain doll was $.49. Sometimes it is hard to tell if something is old or just simply dirty. Her apron and bonnet are stained. I never could walk away from a poor dolly needing a home.
another, not so nosy, kitty sleeping in the sun.
Ironing always, always, gets me to thinking about mama. Mama thought everything needed to be ironed...sheets, pillowcases, towels, washcloths, daddy's boxer shorts...everything. Growing up, Mama would say to me on Saturday morning, if you want do something to help, start ironing the clothes in that basket. All the flat pieces were fun to iron and fold. Shelby probably had to iron some of the harder pieces...well, I'm sorry, she was older than me. :)
Even into late 1950's Mama was still mixing up starch for the shirts, blouses, and dresses. After the clothes were brought in from off the clothesline, mama would carry the pile of starched pieces to the kitchen sink, turn the cold water faucet on low and with her hand sprinkle water on each piece of clothing until it was damp. She then rolled each piece into a smooth ball that looked like dough and covered them with a cloth and put them in the refrigerator. Once the sprinkled clothes were cold, they ironed easier and looked better. I can just hear mama saying, "I've simply got to get the clothes sprinkled and in the refrigerator". Yep, I remembered all this when I got out my can of spray starch to use on that dresser scarf.
Goodness, didn't mean to write this much. Poppy is probably waiting for the computer. I'll end this now. I did want to show you how close little Rosie and Asa have become...
Pardon the mess. I swept the teeny tiny barn twice today. :)
Love,
Henny
Back to my dull routine...while in Henderson at Tractor Supply a day or so ago, I did make a quick stop at the Salvation Army Thrift Store...
I picked up this picture for $2.00. I love the beautiful heavy frame, and the white kitty is so sweet.
also found three pieces of solid color cotton fabric. These come in handy for lining sunbonnets. The white basket was less than a dollar, fabric pieces .25 each.
always a curious kitty snooping around...
This small porcelain doll was $.49. Sometimes it is hard to tell if something is old or just simply dirty. Her apron and bonnet are stained. I never could walk away from a poor dolly needing a home.
another, not so nosy, kitty sleeping in the sun.
Ironing always, always, gets me to thinking about mama. Mama thought everything needed to be ironed...sheets, pillowcases, towels, washcloths, daddy's boxer shorts...everything. Growing up, Mama would say to me on Saturday morning, if you want do something to help, start ironing the clothes in that basket. All the flat pieces were fun to iron and fold. Shelby probably had to iron some of the harder pieces...well, I'm sorry, she was older than me. :)
Even into late 1950's Mama was still mixing up starch for the shirts, blouses, and dresses. After the clothes were brought in from off the clothesline, mama would carry the pile of starched pieces to the kitchen sink, turn the cold water faucet on low and with her hand sprinkle water on each piece of clothing until it was damp. She then rolled each piece into a smooth ball that looked like dough and covered them with a cloth and put them in the refrigerator. Once the sprinkled clothes were cold, they ironed easier and looked better. I can just hear mama saying, "I've simply got to get the clothes sprinkled and in the refrigerator". Yep, I remembered all this when I got out my can of spray starch to use on that dresser scarf.
Goodness, didn't mean to write this much. Poppy is probably waiting for the computer. I'll end this now. I did want to show you how close little Rosie and Asa have become...
Pardon the mess. I swept the teeny tiny barn twice today. :)
Love,
Henny

0 Yorumlar